I’ve always been proud of my natural hair, so the thought of converting to a box braid wig felt both exciting and intimidating. I cherished the adaptability that wigs provide, enabling me to alter my hairdo anytime I liked. I was aware, nevertheless, that in order to achieve a smooth and natural look, switching from my natural hair to a wig would call for careful preparation. In this article, I’ll talk about my own experience and provide a step-by-step tutorial to you on how to switch from natural hair to a box braid wig.
Step 1: Research and Choose the Right Wig
Research is essential before venturing into the realm of box braid wigs. Find a wig that fits your particular style by looking at various lengths, hues, and styles. Knotless braid wig is one of my favorite styles. Consider the wig’s material because some are likely to be more comfy than others. For instance, synthetic wigs tend to be less expensive than those made of human hair, but they might also be less breathable.
I chose a top-notch synthetic wig with box braids that closely matched the texture of my own hair. I was able to experiment with various looks while staying within my means thanks to this decision.
Step 2: Prepare Your Natural Hair
It’s essential to prepare your natural hair before putting on the wig to guarantee a seamless and comfortable fit. Start by giving your hair a thorough wash and conditioning. Your natural hair will become clean and fresh and any product accumulation will be removed thanks to this.
After that, if your natural hair is long, think about braiding it or twisting it flat against your scalp. This process will make the wig’s surface flatter and assist avoid any bulkiness or unevenness.
Step 3: Wear a Wig Cap
It is very advised to use a wig hat since it keeps your natural hair in place and creates a smoother surface for the wig. Pick a wig cap that complements the color of your wig or your skin tone. You can find braided wigs for black women on the FANCIVIVI online store. There are a lot of choices.
Start by tucking all of your natural hair into the wig cap before wearing it. A cap should completely enclose your head, from the hairline to the nape of your neck. Make the cap snug but comfortable to wear.
Step 4: Apply the Wig
It’s time to put the braided wigs in place now that your natural hair has been prepared and safeguarded. Stretch the wig cap gently over your head, making sure it completely encloses your natural hair. Make the wig cap fit your scalp securely and pleasantly.
Aligning the wig with your hairline, carefully lay it over the cap. Make sure the wig is securely attached to your head and adjust it for a more natural appearance. A lot of wigs have adjustable straps or clips to allow for a more personalized fit. Utilize these elements to fix the wig firmly in place so that it doesn’t move or shift while being worn.
Step 5: Blend the Wig with Your Natural Hair
Blend your natural hair with the box braid wig to achieve a seamless appearance. Starting from beneath the wig, carefully remove little strands of your natural hair. To create a seamless transition between these parts and the wig’s hair, use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb.
Make sure your natural hairline and the wig’s edges mix seamlessly. For a finished look, you can use styling products or edge control gel to tame any flyaways or baby hairs.
Step 6: Style and Personalize Your Wig
Wearing a box braid wig has many benefits, one of which is that you may style and customize it to suit your tastes. It’s time to get creative once the wig is firmly in place and has merged with your natural hair.
Start by attempting various splitting techniques. You can part your hair in the middle, on the side, or even in a fashionable zigzag pattern. Section the hair with a comb or your fingers, then style it as needed. Play around with various angles and positions until you discover the right pose for you.
To add a special touch, you can also try decorating your wig with headbands, scarves, or hairpins. These accessories not only improve the overall appearance but also provide you a chance to express your unique sense of style and originality.
Cut and shape the wig to fit your face if you want a more natural and realistic appearance. To achieve a precise and attractive cut, consult a professional hairstylist who specializes in wig creation. To get the desired style, they can thin out the hair, create layers, or cut the ends.
Step 7: Maintain and Care for Your Wig
It’s crucial to properly maintain and care for your box braid wig if you want it to stay looking gorgeous. To wash and condition the wig, adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Brushing: To gently untangle the hair, use a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush made especially for wigs. To prevent pulling or wig fiber damage, begin at the ends and work your way up. Particularly with synthetic wigs, which are more prone to tangling, use caution and gentleness.
- Cleaning: It’s critical to regularly wash the wig to get rid of debris, oils, and buildup from styling products. For washing your particular wig type, adhere to the manufacturer’s directions. Typically, you should add a tiny amount of wig shampoo to a sink or basin of cool water. Put the wig in the water and gently twirl it around, being careful not to rub or twist it too hard. Rinse completely and carefully wring out any excess water using cool water. Hot water should not be used because it can harm synthetic wigs.
- Conditioning: Apply a tiny amount of wig conditioner or a leave-in conditioner made specifically for wigs after washing. The hair will remain silky and manageable as a result. After applying the conditioner for a short while, thoroughly rinse your hair with cool water.
- Drying: To get rid of extra water, pat the wig dry with a towel. The wig should not be twisted or wrung out as this could harm it. Put the wig on a mannequin head or wig stand so that it can dry naturally. The wig’s fibers could become brittle or melt if you use a hairdryer or expose it to direct heat sources.
- Styling: Only style the wig when it has dried completely. Avoid using hot styling equipment, like flat irons or curling irons, on synthetic wigs since they might harm the fibers. Instead, to get the desired style, employ heatless styling techniques like braiding or foam rollers. Use a heat protectant spray and set the instrument to a low or medium heat setting when using heat styling tools on human hair wigs.
- Storage: To keep the wig in good form and avoid tangling, store it correctly while not being worn. Before storing, gently brush or comb the wig to remove any tangles or knots. Lay the wig flat in a specified wig box or place it on a wig stand. The fibers in the wig can be harmed by storing it in a small area or by being exposed to too much heat, humidity, or sunshine.
- Avoiding Chemicals: Regular hair care products shouldn’t be used on wigs since they may contain elements that are damaging to the fibers. To give your wig the best possible care, choose shampoos, conditioners, and styling products specifically designed for wigs.
- Professional Maintenance: Think about taking your wig to a professional wig stylist if you have questions about how to take care of it or if it needs more extensive maintenance. To keep your wig in peak shape, they can offer deep conditioning treatments, repairs, and restyling services.
Keep in mind that regular upkeep and care are necessary to keep your wig looking its best. You’ll be able to enjoy your wig for a longer time by following these suggestions, preserving its natural appearance, and making sure you always have a gorgeous hairstyle to wear.
A universe of hairstyling options becomes available when switching from real hair to a box braid wig. You may get a smooth and natural look while safeguarding and maintaining the health of your natural hair by following the detailed step-by-step instructions above.
Always remember to conduct thorough study before selecting a wig that complements your unique preferences and style. Before putting on the wig, prepare and maintain your natural hair to make sure it lays flat and securely. Don’t be afraid to customize and style the wig to express your uniqueness; just make sure to blend it in with your real hair.
Your box braid wig may be a lovely and functional accent that enables you to adopt many hairstyles with ease provided you take care of it properly. So go ahead and start your trip, have fun, and use your new box braid wig to express your individuality!